Category Archives: Marshallate
Rule Update on Spears
A Rule Update on Spears was posted by the Society Rapier Marshal (Laertes McBride) regarding the use of Spears and other Polearm style weapons on the Rapier Field.
Please note, as with all rulings, it is subject to the BoD’s oversight and has been submitted as part of the Q1 report. Until otherwise notified, all weapons that fall under this classification are now subject to the ruling.
March 17, 2014 – Ruling on Spears/Polearms/Pikes
Additions/revisions are being made to the October 2013 version of the handbook to address the use of Spears/Pikes/Polearms on the rapier field. Please check with your area’s Kingdom Rapier Marshal on how this classification of weapon is being used.
See new section: Weapons and Parrying Devices 5. Spears/Pikes/Polearms
What this ruling does:
- Mandate that fighters must be authorized before using this type of weapon on the field.
- Establish a baseline definition of this class of weapon.
- Provide a common ground starting point for the use of these weapons at interkingdom events.
What this ruling does NOT do:
- Force kingdoms to use this weapon. As with all of the rules, kingdoms are allowed to be more restrictive than the Society rules. If a kingdom is not interested in having spears as part of their program, there is now a clear definition of the weapon.
- Limit how these weapons are used in wars. As with mock gunnery (RBGs), it is up to the kingdoms and stewards of interkingdom wars to determine how many of these weapons are used on the field. It is being strongly suggested that they follow the current convention of mock gunnery (percentage of fighters on the field – usually 10%).
- Detail the exact authorization procedure. As with all the other weapons and forms, it is up to each kingdom to determine the best authorization procedure for their area. Kingdoms also have the option to designate these weapons as “experimental” in their kingdom in order to build hands-on experience before moving forward.